Unfortunately, the origin of Nanzenbach as well as the one of its name is still uncertain. In 1255, Nanzenbach is mentioned for the first time in an official document. However, archaeological excavations of the year 1951 suggest that there must have been human settlements here at the time of the Nativity.

Nanzenbach was famous for its copper resources. Already in 1464, copper works were operated here. Due to good conditions in Nanzenbach, the village already consisted of 51 households in 1608. Because of the Thirty Year’s War of 1618-1648, this number decreased to 37.

The year 1772 was a terrible one for Nanzenbach and its inhabitants. The Big Fire of 19th August destroyed 76 homes and 124 other buildings. Only the chapel and one further small and unoccupied building escaped the fire.

By the help of the neighbouring communities, Nanzenbach was re-erected according to the plans of the master builder Terlinden. In these plans, the master builder paid a lot of attention to minimizing the danger of a new big fire. Thus, the first floors of the new buildings were made of solid rocks. Furthermore, slate was used for the roofs instead of straw.

In 1866, Nanzenbach became an independent community. Although there were only few opportunities to earn money outside agriculture, no major migration could be observed.

On 1st April 1972, Nanzenbach gave up its independence and suburbanised to Dillenburg.

Joomla templates by a4joomla